Carbon monoxide detector prompts Quincy apartment evacuation - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Carbon monoxide detector prompts Quincy apartment evacuation

Posted:
QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -

Residents are now back in their apartments this afternoon after a carbon monoxide detector prompted an early Tuesday morning evacuation.

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning said crews were called to 838 North 8th Street around 4:15 a.m. Tuesday to a carbon monoxide detector going off.

When crews arrived on scene, they went into the residence with monitoring devices and found high levels of CO and natural gas. Those levels continued to rise while crews were on scene, which then forced crews to evacuate residents not only in the apartment itself, but in the entire apartment building.

"It was a pretty short turn around time from the time that they started to evacuate the building to where they were able to find the gas shutoff for the actual structure itself. They shut the gas off and then the levels started dropping back down," said Henning.

Firefighters also worked with Ameren to make sure they identified what the problem was and to make sure the problem was corrected before the gas was turned back on.

It was determined that a leak was coming from a stove.

An ambulance was called to check on the condition of one of the residents as a precautionary measure.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.