A working carbon monoxide detector is essential at all times of the year, but it's especially important in the winter months.
As those cold temperatures move in we tend to keep all windows and doors shut to try and save on our heating bills. The problem with that is if you do have a carbon monoxide leak, it's going to build up inside the home with nowhere to go.
Among the most common sources of the odorless, toxic gas are malfunctioning heaters and furnaces.
Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning says, "We can avoid a lot of this stuff by just making sure people get their heating appliances checked. It's a good time to kind of have somebody come out to check and make sure the furnace is functioning properly. Along that same line, using space heaters and those types of things...if people are going to use those they want to make sure they use them in a safe fashion."
Another thing Chief Henning mentioned was with the colder temperatures moving in, a lot of us tend to heat up our cars in our garages.
"If you've got a car inside the garage and you're running it warming it up and you've got the doors closed, that carbon monoxide will back up into the home," said Chief Henning.
If you are one of those people, Chief Henning says to make sure and open the garage door or windows to ventilate the carbon monoxide that can quickly build up.
It is required to have a CO detector on every level of a home and within 15 feet of all sleeping areas.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms including headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness, and in severe cases death.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Donna Vancil at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.