Fire officials are warning you to double check your holiday decorations tonight after a large fire destroyed a shed at 1503 Gayla Street in Quincy.
The Tri-Township Fire Department reports an overloaded circuit caused this shed to catch fire around 9:30 last night.
Fire officials say you need to take some important steps while putting up your Christmas displays to prevent this from happening to you.
Shera Denum lives nearby and said last night's fire is a reminder of just how dangerous Christmas lights can be if they aren't set up properly.
"It's really definitely a wake up call when it happens to someone in your neighborhood and we have always tried to do quite a few lights and it is definitely something we need to rethink. Make sure we are not doing too many into one," said Denum.
Tri-Township Assistant Fire Chief Darren Smith says you should never use more than three strands of lights per extension cord.
"If you overload an extension cord or stuff like that the overheating of those types of cords can cause a fire," said Smith.
Smith says in order to protect your property, you should double check your lights before hanging them.
"When you go to put your lights up inspect them. Inspect the cords. Make sure there is no fraying, no nicks in the insulation. If you do see those just get rid of them," said Smith.
Denum says she is setting up her outdoor lights this weekend and will be extra cautious.
"We like to make sure that we have no more than two plugs plugged into a power strip and we just really try to watch that we don't have too many outlets used at one time," said Smith.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.