New underage drinking law to penalize parents - Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

New underage drinking law to penalize parents


About 150 new laws take effect in Illinois in the new year, and one of those new laws could get parents in serious trouble for allowing underage kids to drink on their property.

Adams County Sheriff Brent Fischer says this new law will Put pressure on parents to stop allowing underage kids to drink under their supervision.

"If you're under 18 do I think that's a good law, yes I do, but as of 18 and older, I think from 18 to 21 they should still be able to do what they want," said Jeremiah Briggs.

"I think it would be a good thing to do, because you know they shouldn't be giving their children any type of liquor because that's not good for the children either," said Sherry White.

Adams County Sheriff Brent Fischer says this new law places more accountability on parents, as it makes it a crime to allow underage drinking not only at a parent or guardian's home but also on property they own.

"It can be very easy for this to be allowed, especially here in rural Adams county, you've got barns, lodges camps down on the river. There's a lot of areas that this could be happening," said Sheriff Fischer.

If parent/guardian gets caught allowing kids to drink underage, it's a Class "A" Misdemeanor, which is a  minimum fine of $500.

Sheriff Fischer says in a lot of cases, parents are aware that underage drinking is going on, but he says enforcing this new law could be tough.

"It's not going to be easy to enforce based on the fact, do we know, is it an adult party or an underage party but it does at least allow now a law to penalize those that knowingly have allowed this to happen," said Sheriff Fischer.

If the violation directly or indirectly results in great bodily harm or death to any person, that's a Class 4 felony, and that's punishable by jail time.


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at