Residents get out safely from North 4th house fire in Quincy - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Residents get out safely from North 4th house fire in Quincy

Posted: Updated:
QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -

A Quincy family is homeless after a fire destroyed everything they had.

Fire Chief Joe Henning says crews were called to 917 North 4th Street just after 12:30 p.m. Thursday. 

Henning says when fire crews arrived, flames were coming out of the first and second floors.

Loretta Carel was inside with her three grandchildren and their father when the fire first started, but was able to get everybody out ok.

"I was talking to him and next thing I know I smelled smoke, cause he can't smell. And I turned around and there were flames coming out of the closet," said Carel.

The family lost everything in the blaze.

Fire officials say the fire was started by an improperly used extension cord.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Donna Vancil at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.