Kids and Meth: Where do kids in trouble turn? - Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Kids and Meth: Where do kids in trouble turn?


In a WGEM News in-depth report, Kids and Meth: Families Ripped Apart, you saw what happens to children that are found living in a home with a meth lab. But where can these kids turn to for help outside of family and friends?

A lot of times it's someone at school. Mike Llwewllyn, Director of Guidance at Quincy Senior High, says teachers and staff have great relationships with their students and often times, that can make it easier for a child to reach out for help.

(See "Kids and Meth: Families Ripped Apart") 

It's often difficult for a student to report the problem, because it's their family.

"Sometimes students report it because they're frustrated. They don't know what to do. They've dealt with everything and they become sometimes the parent in the situation," Llwewllyn said. "They're trying to help the parent stop doing what they're doing and they're raising the family and things like that. So we have to really fine line balance that and try to see how we can support them here at school."

A lot of times they turn to someone at school for help. Their daily routine might be the only constant in their life.

"It is a normal pattern for them to come to school everyday," Llwewllyn said. "So they see these people every day and we've had teachers go out on a limb for students and help them out because they've built that relationship with the student."

Llewellyn says teachers also keep an eye on a student's grades. If they start to struggle, that may be a sign of trouble at home and then they can try and talk to the student about what's going on to help them get through it.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at