Quincy house fire started in chimney - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Quincy house fire started in chimney

Posted: Updated:
QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -

A Quincy family woke up Friday morning to the smell of smoke in their house. 

Tri-Township Assistant Fire Chief Darren Smith says crews were called to this house at 1415 Silverthorne Drive around 7 a.m. Friday.

"They were getting ready to go to work I believe and noticed some smoke and they went outside and saw smoke coming from the roof," said Smith.

Smith says they believe the fire started because of a crack in the chimney.

"The cause of the fire is from the fireplace. It looks like it's probably a faulty brick, some mortar, stuff like that," said Smith. "Something like that gave way and let the fire get into the studs."

Even though firefighters were able to keep the damage down to a minimum at the house, Chimney Sweep and Quincy Firefighter Cole Miller says a chimney that has not been inspected or swept properly could spark disaster.

Especially from built up creosote, unburned smoke collected on the chimney walls.

"It's potentially very hazardous. There's a lot of factors that go into how much creosote you may get built up but if that catches fire and the flu can't contain it then the fire could easily spread to the house or anywhere else," said Miller.

Miller recommends getting your chimney inspected every year.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Donna Vancil at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.