Sharon Miller diverted from her daily routine and made an unexpected trip back home Friday morning because she forgot her child's medicine.
But when she opened the door to her mobile home she was shocked at what she saw.
"I come in and I open the front door and smoked rolled out and I ran up the hill to ask for help," said Miller.
Canton fire officials determined the blaze started under her family's furnace. Miller said with the frigid temperatures this week, the furnace has been working around the clock.
"We have a digital thermostat and it goes up and down with us being home so just the hours of us being home was too much," said Miller.
Canton Fire Chief Jeff McReynolds said overworked furnaces are all too common during harsh winter weather.
"You need to be extra careful this time of year cause our furnaces are working a lot harder than they have all year," said McReynolds.
McReynolds said there are some simple things you can do to make sure this doesn't happen to you.
"Make sure you are checking your filters if they're clean. Make sure your filters aren't working themselves unnecessarily," said McReynolds.
McReyolds also recommends having a professional come out once a year to inspect your furnace. He said wood stoves are even bigger culprits for winter fires, so you should make sure you get those inspected as well to prevent disaster.
"If you're not getting a good, clean burn it could build up cresol on the lining of your flu. That creasote can ignite," said McReynolds.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.