Man in Quincy standoff surrenders to police - Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Man in Quincy standoff surrenders to police

Posted: Updated:

A near 21-hour standoff in Quincy has come to a close.

Quincy police officers took 52-year-old Donald "Rick" Pruett into custody just before 11 a.m. Tuesday at his residence at 1718 Center Granview Drive in Quincy.

After being taken into custody, police say Pruett underwent a mental evaluation at Blessing Hospital. He was then questioned by police and now awaits his first court appearance.

Sgt. Duane Long said Pruett had come "uncomfortable" during negotiations, and had not eaten, slept, or used a bathroom during the course of the standoff.

"It was a combination of the elements getting to him," QPD Chief Rob Copley said. "He was at the point that the negotiations really worked."

It has not yet been said how Pruett surrendered to officers.

Officers arrived at Pruett's residence just around 2 p.m. Monday to interview him about allegations of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse involving a minor victim. Pruett let the officers in the home and then barricaded himself in the bedroom.

Officers say Pruett made threats, indicating that he was armed. Overnight, Copley said police were able to look in the bedroom window and see Pruett holding a handgun. There were no hostages involved in the standoff.

"It was all about getting him out safely and keeping everyone else from being harmed in the process," Copley said. "It was time consuming, but we're talking about human lives and everything came together well."

Some adjacent houses were evacuated Monday. School buses were kept from the immediate area Tuesday morning, as Quincy Public Schools transportation officials worked with police on a safe alternate route.

"I was very upset because usually the neighborhood's quiet, I mean there's a lot of children in the neighborhood and really concerned," said neighbor Ginger Smith.

Garrett Scott, also a neighbor, said he spoke with Pruett a few days ago.

"He called me and checked up on me because I was home sick from school and he seemed happy and energetic," Scott said.

According to court records, in September 2002, Pruett was arrested on two charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse with a victim under the age of 13 and one charge of sexual exploitation of a child. But three months later, the charges were dropped.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at