An elderly woman was rescued from her burning home by a few people who happen to be passing by Saturday morning on the 1200 block of 37th street in Fort Madison.
Linda Boone was cleaning up her house just before 10:30 a.m. when she says all of a sudden she heard someone break down her door.
"Two women came into the door and told me I had to get out of my house. It was on fire and I just said what. I didn't know what was going on," said Boone.
Those two women were Samantha Allsup and Ashley Reittinger, who happened to be driving by Boone's home when they say they saw smoke coming from a shed in Boone's backyard.
Allsup and Reittinger said they just reacted, called 9-1-1 and went into Boone's home to see if anyone was in there.
"By the time we got into the house there was so much smoke. She didn't really know what was going on because she was an elder lady. She was just more frightened that we kind of busted in her house," said Boone.
The women say an unknown man followed them in and helped them pull Boone out of her home. They say by then the house was engulfed since the wind carried the fire from the shed.
Fort Madison police and fire departments, along with Denmark Fire Department, then arrived and fought the blaze.
Boone was home alone with her three cats when her home caught on fire and said even though she most likely lost everything, she is lucky to be alive.
"It's gone. There's nothing I can do about it and I'm okay thanks to the good Samaritans who rescued me," said Boone.
Fort Madison fire officials say the cause of the blaze has yet to be determined.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Donna Vancil at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.