Tri-State residents near Boston Marathon explosions - Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Tri-State residents near Boston Marathon explosions


Several Tri-State residents took part in Monday's Boston Marathon and some of them said they were close enough to the finish line to hear the explosions. 

One of those runners was Chris Trone of Rushville. Trone told WGEM News that he finished the race roughly 20 minutes before the explosions happened, but was still very close to the area.

"I was heading back to meet up with my brother," Trone said. "I heard a boom. Sometimes construction sites have something and I though that happened there. But then there's another (explosion.) I walked around and people started scrambling."

Trone said he was thankful he had taken his time in making his way back around to the site.

"I would have been 30, 40, 50 seconds closer," Trone said.

Trone wasn't the only Tri-State runner that heard the explosions.

"I heard two loud noises," said Josh Sherwood, a cross country coach at Quincy Notre Dame High School. "This is a very tragic event."

Sherwood spoke via phone with WGEM News Monday afternoon after completing his first Boston Marathon. Sherwood estimated he was about two blocks away when the explosions occurred.

"I was just leaving the finish line area. I just got my clothes and stuff and I was heading to the hotel," Sherwood explained.

Sherwood said many of Boston's major buildings were placed on lock down, including his hotel.

According to the Boston Marathon web site, a runner from Palmyra, Missouri named Jeri Conboy was also at the race. It took family and friends until late Monday afternoon to track Conboy down and learn that she was unharmed.

"Jeri and her husband are okay," Quincy resident Cindy Spake said. "We're so glad."

Spake ran the Boston Marathon in 2012 and was monitoring Conboy's progress during her run.

Spake said she had been glued to the news coverage of the explosions and had been worried about Conboy and her husband.

"Our running club had been texting back and forth and trying to reach Jeri," Spake said. 

Steve Felde, a spokesperson for Conboy's employer, Blessing Hospital, said her co-workers had been worried when they could not reach her. Felde said busy cell phone signals made it difficult to get calls through to Boston.

Keith Schluter, a runner from Macomb, Illinois, was listed as having completed the race, according to the Boston Marathon web site. Our efforts to reach Schluter have been unsuccessful.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at