Montrose city officials say the city can't afford to fix River R - Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Montrose city officials say the city can't afford to fix River Road sink hole properly


River Road stretches along the Mississippi River in Lee County, and besides being a scenic drive through the area it's a necessity for local residents.

"There are probably hundreds of homes between Keokuk and Montrose that use the road on a regular basis," said Montrose resident Greg Ruth.

 Ruth lives in Bluff Park that sits right above the large sinkhole on River Road and he said he uses the road often.

This sinkhole forced the city of Montrose to close down the road indefinitely because of safety issues, and city council member Mary VanPelt said this has been an ongoing problem in years past.

"The heavy rain. It's just going to be a problem until we can get it fixed properly and that's going to cost a lot of money," said VanPelt.

Up to $4 million is what engineers estimate it will cost to fix the road, and that's an amount of money that VanPelt says the city just can't afford even with grants.

"It would be an 80/20 grant and the city just doesn't have the money," said VanPelt.

VanPelt says she hopes the city can find a way to receive financial assistance to complete the project because the road is a big part of the area's charm.

"Closing this road would be really sad being the scenic byway because it is a beautiful trip down here and the city keeps it up the best we can with what money we have," said VanPelt.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at