Community organizations come together to build playground - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

Community organizations come together to build playground

Posted:
QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -

Some of our best childhood memories come from spending hours at a playground, but for some tri-state children access to a safe and fun playground isn't a reality.

That's why some local organizations teamed up Saturday to create a space for those kids to stay active in their neighborhood.

"If you're ever in this area. There's no where close for our kids to play. There's not a safe designated area," said Chasidy Rees of the Quincy Area Project.

Rees says Quincy's north side has lacked a fun and safe playground for neighborhood children to play on.

That why Rees decided to team up with Blue Cross Blue Shield and KaBOOM! to build a playground behind the Jefferson Youth Center on North 5th Street.

Nearly 300 volunteers spent all day building a space where kids create childhood memories.

"Our hope is just that they know that they have a place to go. That there's a safe environment for them. They don't have to be on the streets just wondering around," said Rees.

Blue Cross Blue Shield foot the bill for 90% of the project, with the other 10% coming from community donations.

Cassie Jenkins of Blue Cross Blue Shield who brought about 100 employees out to volunteer says the project fits one of her company's goals.

"One of our main initiatives at Blue Cross is the healthy kids, healthy families which it promotes eating right, being healthy and just exercising so one of our goals is to make this playground so they have a place to go, a safe environment to be active and just thrive in their community," said Jenkins.

Kids can get the chance to play on the playground Tuesday afternoon.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Donna Vancil at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.