What to do if you're involved in a car crash - WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio

What to do if you're involved in a car crash

QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) - Though no one wants to get in an accident, the chances of it happening at some point are likely. Do you know the right things to do if you're in a crash?

The Illinois Department of Insurance recently released a report giving tips on what to do in case of an accident. The report says what you do before a crash is just as important as after. The Department of Insurance suggests talking with your agent about your car insurance policy and limits. Local Insurance Agent J.T. Dozier says if you are in an crash, information is important.

"They think that by not sharing information with the other driver some how benefits them," Dozier said. "No, the other driver is not going to gain any advantage over you by knowing who you are, who owns the car or the insurance company. So share that information freely."

Dozier also recommends filing a claim in a timely matter. He says if the crash occurs after business hours either report it the next day or call a 24 hour claims report line.

Dozier says recommends when buying insurance to get medical expense coverage.  He says many people don't get this or, if they get insurance online, don't know about this. This covers any medical expenses, no matter who is at fault.

If a police are called to the scene, having your information ready can help speed up the process of filing a report. Trooper Mike Kindhart with the Illinois State Police says if police are not called to the scene, knowing the location is important.

"If it's a car deer crash and it's something you can drive away from the scene, if you can give us the close proximity of the address of where you were at and where you struck that deer," Kindhart said. "We also will notify the Department of Transportation that the crash has occurred and there's a deer in the ditch."

Kindhart says moving a vehicle after a crash depends on the situation. If the crash is a fender bender and you can move for public safety, then you can move. He says if the crash is more serious, then you are required to leave the cars so crash reconstruction can happen.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WGEM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Kathy Woodworth at 217-228-6617. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.