Advertisement

‘Chimney malfunction’ causes fire in Fort Madison home

Published: Jan. 26, 2022 at 3:33 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FORT MADISON (WGEM) - A Fort Madison home at 1635 Avenue L caught fire shortly after noon on Wednesday.

The resident of the home said she was in the upstairs bedroom when she saw black smoke coming up from the bottom floor where a wood pellet stove was being used.

She said she was able to get her father and pets out of the home.

Fort Madison Fire Chief Joey Herren said when firefighters arrived flames were coming from the first and second floors.

Herren said a malfunction in the chimney or a build-up of creosote caused the side of the home to catch fire and spread up to the eaves of the home.

According to the resident, the second story was heavily damaged and the bottom floor sustained water damage.

She said she lost all of her belongings but both she and her father had other places they could stay.

No injuries were reported from the fire.

Copyright 2022 WGEM. All rights reserved.