Body found in Quincy machine shed fire
QUINCY (WGEM) - Quincy firefighters said they discovered a body while battling a fire in Quincy early Tuesday morning.
Chief Bernard Vahlkamp said the victim is a male. He said they are still unsure of a cause of death, but a secondary investigation was involving police.
“There was a dead body found, and of course, they have their crime scene techs on scene,” Assistant Fire Chief James Pioch said.
Authorities said the fire broke out around 3:47 a.m. in a machine shed at 1021 North 4th Street.
Quincy fire officials said electrical issues caused the fire. Pioch said there were numerous extension cords, power strips and electrical splitters in the shed, making it a hazardous electrical situation.
Vahlkamp said it took crews about an hour to put out the fire.
Quincy Resident Myla Freeman said she was walking to work early this morning when she saw the fire.
“I was on my way to work this morning and I had seen smoke and fire. First I thought somebody was burning something, but as I got to looking at it, I saw flames coming off of the roof so I called the police,” Freeman said.
Another neighbor said she did not know what was going on this morning, but she had seen suspicious activity there before.
“I wasn’t for sure, and I’ve seen a lot of vehicles come and go out of that area,” Dawn Forrester said.
Police continue to investigate the death.
No additional information has been released.
Copyright 2022 WGEM. All rights reserved.