Preparations for Trump’s arrival are underway
QUINCY (WGEM) - Adams County and Quincy officials are gearing up Friday to carry-out logistics for former President Trump’s visit to the Adams County Fairgrounds Saturday night.
Trump plans to rally in support of Congresswoman Mary Miller, who is in a tight race with Congressman Rodney Davis, in Illinois’ newly-drawn 15th District.
The event is expected to draw a large crowd.
Local first responders and other public workers are being called upon to make sure the event goes as smoothly, and as safely, as possible.
“While we’re ready, we hope that everybody is able to have an enjoyable time and not need us.” Adams County Ambulance and Emergency Management Chief John Simon said.
Simon said his team is on-site and will be monitoring everything from potential severe weather to extreme heat.
“We have different cooling centers and tents available for our staff with patients so that we can take care of those needs right here on the grounds,” Simon said.
Quincy Mayor Mike Troup said the city is working along with the sheriff’s office and state police to safely transport the former President via motorcade from Quincy Regional Airport to the fairgrounds.
“I’m sure the sheriff’s department and state police are going to shut down the route when he goes,” Troup said
Officials said with strong collaboration between local agencies, they are ready to help provide a safe environment.
The biggest threat could be the weather with storms, extreme heat and high humidity all in the forecast.
“Come hydrated, stay hydrated while they’re here. There’s gonna be plenty of water on the grounds,” Simon said.
Adams County Board Chairman Kent Snider said the county estimates it will incur costs of between $7,000 and $10,000 to provide law enforcement and EMS support at the fairgrounds.
Troup said the city has created a budget code to track all the city’s expenses. He is unsure of how much that will be.
The rally at the fairgrounds is a private ticketed event. Organizers said gates open at 2 p.m. for those with tickets.
Read more about Trump’s visit to Adams County
- Plans underway for Adams County Trump rally for Rep. Miller
- WGEM to stream Trump’s speech from Adams Co. fairgrounds
- Trump rally visit costs start to come into focus
- Trump rally confirmed for Adams County
- Souvenir stands capitalize on visitors here to see Trump
- Adams County EMS director estimates more than 50 heat-related illnesses at rally
- Trump endorses Bailey in GOP primary contest for Illinois governor
- Trump arrives at Quincy Regional Airport
- Live looks around the county ahead of former President Trump’s visit
- WATCH: Trump speaks at Adams County Fairgrounds
Copyright 2022 WGEM. All rights reserved.