Quincy mobile home catches fire

Published: Nov. 24, 2022 at 4:27 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

QUINCY (WGEM) - Quincy firefighters responded to a fire at Trailer Town mobile home park early Thursday morning.

Crews arrived on scene for the fire at around 3:20 a.m. at 1702 McKinney Street.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke from inside the house and were able to put the fire out quickly.

Quincy Fire Dept. Assistant Chief Thurman Munger said the occupants confirmed a cigarette was the cause of the fire.

“Right now the whole structure is heavy heat and smoke damage throughout the structure. And we of course got heavy fire damage within the room of origin which was a bedroom and partially the floor is also burned out in that area . So it’s not going to be livable at this time.”

Homeowner Kevin Adkins said his friend had fallen asleep while smoking which started the fire. He said the damage from the fire was severe and he’s unsure if he’ll either repair the house or tear it down.

Munger said the occupants escaped and has some singed hair but refused medical treatment.

The Red Cross arrived to assist the men, and Adkins said they gave him some money for clothes and a motel room. He said he plans on staying in a motel room for a week to figure things out.

Red Cross Supervisor Robert Bowen said a caseworker would be contacting him soon to provide further assistance.

Investigators arrived on scene around 4:45 a.m. to check the extent of the damage and look over the property.

Firefighters and investigators left the scene around 6:00 a.m.

Police, ambulance, and Ameren were also on scene.

Police in the area were directing traffic.

Copyright 2022 WGEM. All rights reserved.