Hancock County farmhouse catches fire

Published: Nov. 30, 2022 at 10:32 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BASCO, Ill. (WGEM) - A fire broke out Wednesday morning in the basement of a farmhouse at 1875 E. County Road 1000 near Basco, Illinois, in rural Hancock County.

Carthage Fire Chief Kody Horn said his department was dispatched at 8:27 a.m. and arrived on scene at 8:40 a.m. to visible flames.

Horn said the fire was contained in the basement near the HVAC system. The HVAC system was deemed to be the cause of the fire, Horn said.

“HVAC units need annually inspected, have a professional come out, inspect them annually and it just gives you peace of mind that you won’t have issues throughout the season especially before the holidays,” Horn said.

Horn added that this was the second time in two weeks that his department responded to a fire at this location, but he said the two fires were unrelated. Horn said the first call was due to a grass fire that spread to a garage, destroying the building.

Horn said neither fire was suspicious, and no injuries were reported in both cases.

Horn also warned about improper use of space heaters during the winter.

“Maintain a three foot area around them with nothing that’s flammable and also make sure that they’re plugged into a good power source,” he said. “Make sure that they’re not plugged into a power strip or light extension chord.”

Copyright 2022 WGEM. All rights reserved.